ValenciàCastellanoEnglish (History)Français (Historie)
Administrar

Ayuntamiento de Alcántera de Xúquer
23/11/2017 02:52


History



Of Islamic origin (of fact, the toponym Alcàntera has his origin in the Arabic /alqántara/, that means " the ", bridge " the aqueduct ", even " the dike "), probably was incorporated by the king Jaume I to the recently created Regne de València in the year 1244, after Xàtiva's conquest. Nevertheless, the Moslem population was kept, preserving his language, his religion and his uses of customs, up to his definitive expulsion in the year 1609. They will be known as Spanish Muslims living under Christian rule; and, after his necessary conversion to the christianity in the year 1525, as Moriscos.



Alcàntera belonged maybe during certain time to the Wreath, being good part of the XIVth and XVth century in hands of different lineages (Ripoll, Maça de Liçana, Montagut ...) until at the end of the 15th century it was acquired together with Beneixida's neighboring places and the Ràfol by Joan Despuig. After belonging some time to Alons Sanoguera, at the beginning from the 18th century it went on to hands of the Sorell, counts of Albalat, who showed the ownership of the lordship up to the dissolution of the lordly regime, already in the 19th century. As a result of the expulsion of the Moriscos, in the year 1611 Cristòfol Despuig had to grant letter it populates in favour of new vassals. This document was regulating aspects as the quantity of land which there would have every new settler, the obligation of the new settlers to reside to acquire the useful property of the land, the censuses in money and the censuses in species of almost the totality of the crops or the supervision and widespread control of the appointment and action of the managerial local charges (justice, jurors).



Nowadays the agriculture continues being the most important economic activity, though followed closely by the sector services; less importance has the industrial sector. During the second half of the 19th century and, especially, in the 20th century the mulberry and the rice have been opening way, as predominant crop, to the orange tree. There are desparecido equally cereals crops as the wheat and the barley and, practically, other crops as the grapevine, the olive trees, the carob-trees and the almond-trees. Also vegetables, vegetables and vegetables are cultivated. The irrigation is realized in his most by waters of the river Sellent, whose administration is chargeable to a community of rerough canvases; also waters of the irrigation ditches are in use of Escalona and of Carcaixent (they are born both in the river Xúquer). The property of the land is very distributed.



In 1609 the population had 65 families of new Christians (or Moriscos). In 1646 it had only 27 families, already of old Christians. In 1786 it had 99 inhabitants, 404 in 1857, 1211 in 1960, 1499 in 1986 and 1492 in 1996. Nowadays they are approximately 1500 inhabitants those who reside in the population.

The urban hull is ordained following two axes that, on having crossed, draw a plant with form of Latin cross. The arms of this cross correspond to the Major street, the former way of Cárcer and of Valencia, or since also there is named the street of the Barca del Rey, where there are buildings of very good construction. The stick of the cross is formed by the streets of Maria Miquel and of Asusiàs March, which are lengthened towards the south up to connecting with the road, where the foot would be. For the head-board of the cross the square of the Church is opened, where there is a parish of the Immaculate Concepcion, a building of neogothic style that it began to contruirse in 1914, substituting a previous very old church that, according to Sanchis Sivera, was the same that had used as mosque up to the 16th century. In the crossing of both streets the square of the Constitución is, and in a corner, the building of the Town hall (1978). The growth of the population has materialized following firstly San Domènec's streets (parallel to the Mayor street) and of Sant Vicent (parallel to Ausiàs March). As well as also the same road, where there place the workshops and stores of the village. More recently the zone of extension has been the same Mayor street, the road in direction Càrcer and those of the Mare de Déu del Puig (school group Cervantes) and Jaume I, to the middle of which there are many new and one-family houses, as well as also a park called Agustín García Aliaga, who was inaugurated in 1988.






« Noviembre 2017 »
Lu Ma Mi Ju Vi Do
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30